The dog is considered as man’s best friend. But in truth, dogs and people are different in a lot of ways. For example, if people can eat chocolate. Apparently, you cannot say the same thing for dogs.
A chemical in chocolate called theobromine, which is similar to caffeine, is toxic to a dog when it ingests between 100 and 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.
Different types of chocolate have different amounts of theobromine: It would take for example 20 ounces of milk chocolate to kill a 20-pound dog, but only two ounces of baker’s chocolate or six ounces of semisweet chocolate. If the dog is small, ingesting particularly large amounts of chocolate could be deadly.