Should you eat moldy cheese?

CheeseIt is hard for us to throw away uneaten food, but when mold appears on it, it is often a sign that you may need to discard it. But there are types of cheese where mold is not really a problem.

So what is a good rule for eating cheese that has mold?

This would depend on the type of cheese. Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese and cream cheese, should be discarded when they already have mold. With these cheeses, the mold can send root threads throughout the cheese. Harmful bacteria, such as listeria, brucella, salmonella and E. coli, can also grow along with the mold. The same goes for any kind of cheese that has been shredded, crumbled or sliced.

Mold generally canot penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as Cheddar, Colby and Swiss. So you can remove the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least an inch around and below the moldy spot. Make sure you keep the knife out of the mold itself so that it does not contaminate other parts of the cheese.

Source

Advertisements
comments powered by Disqus